Swinging crocuses – an experiment in impressionism

A swinging second or two - 1

In the post Whoosh I declared that I’d made some plans of what I wanted to take on my visit to Newport. Well another shot I wanted to try and re-create was the impressionistic accident I once captured at Soar-y-Mynydd in mid-Wales, which I called Serendipity, when I stumbled with my finger apparently on the shutter-release. Afterwards I discovered that it was a recognised “technique” – but not the stumble part!

What you need to do is to again use a Neutral Density filter to slow the shutter-speed down a bit and then put the camera on shutter-delay and then swing the camera over the subject. You need to experiment to get the result you think best, but here above and below, are my choices of the best from the experiment.

A swinging second or two - 2

A swinging second or two - 3

By the time you get to the last one, the crocus are identifiable, I think. Which one do you like best, or perhaps you don’t like any of them – I can understand that as well!

This entry was posted in Abstract, Nature and tagged , , , , , .

9 Comments

1. jane hack March 7, 2019 at 07:54 #

Hi bro! I like the first two best. The identifiable crocuses not so much. It’s an interesting concept but not one I think worth pursuing too actively! 🙂

2. David March 7, 2019 at 07:57 #

I agree Jane, it was just something I wanted to try having done it once before by accident.

3. Jim Bartlett March 7, 2019 at 09:37 #

I’d like to try it, but getting streaks, like a light trail, rather than a blur, David. It won’t be easy though, swinging a camera on a wrist strap.

• David March 7, 2019 at 15:51 #

Lots of experimentation needed then, and I don’t think the wrist strap would help a lot ?

4. Chris Rusbridge March 8, 2019 at 21:51 #

Well, that’s a coincidence; when I read your last few posts, I thought of leaving a comment suggesting Intentional Camera Movement for the abstract theme. Our FPOTY 19 theme for February was “Abstract and odd”, and I decided to put in an ICM shot, which seemed to have worked quite well. Anyway, I think it’s an interesting technique, with extremely quirky possibilities. A lot easier with a digital camera where you can review as you go along to see what works, rather than having to wait until the whole roll is finished! I’d suggest keeping it up… 😉

5. Frank McLean March 9, 2019 at 14:25 #

Interestingly, I like the last one more than the others!